Postdoctoral Fellow 1 January - 31 December 2016
»Ethics of International Lending and International Trade«
My research focuses on global justice. I am interested in evaluating specific transnational institutions, international agreements and global practices. More specifically, I am interested in the ethics of international lending and international trade; and the normative notions of ›coercion‹ and ›exploitation‹.
Some of the questions that I deal with are the following. What are the conditions under which sovereign debts are not morally binding? How should rules of sovereign lending be structured? Why should current generations honor promises made by governments in the past? What is wrong with the current international trade regime? Under what conditions are trade and lending (wrongfully) coercive or exploitative? (Cristian Dimitriu)
Cristian Dimitriu received his PhD in Philosophy at the University of Toronto. His thesis was titled »Odious Debts and Global Justice«. He worked as a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Kansas, where he taught courses on Political Philosophy, Global Justice and Normative Ethics. Cristian was also a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Guelph, in Canada, and at the National Scientific and Technical Research Council of Argentina.
Main areas of research
Political Philosophy, Global Justice, Philosophy of Law, Latin American Philosophy
- »Odious Debts: a Moral Account«, Jurisprudence, Taylor & Francis, 2015.
- »Why should we honor the debts incurred by previous generations?«, in: Ethical Perspectives, Vol. 22, 2015.
- »La Ética del Default: Por qué algunas deudas no son obligatorias para las generaciones actuales«, in: Isonomía, Vol. 41, 2014.
- »Fair Trade and Exploitation«, in: Revista Internacional de Filosofía Daimon, Vol. 62, 2014.
- »The Protention-Retention asymmetry in Husserl’s Conception of Time«, in: Revista Praxis Filosófica, Vol. 37, 2013.
- »Dañar a los pobres: hacia una concepción realmente ecuménica de la Justicia Distributiva Internaciona«, in: Areté. Revista de Filosofia, Vol. 25 (2), 2013.
- »The Practical Interpretation of the Categorical Imperative: a Defense«, in: Ideas y Valores, Vol. 62, 2013.
- »Rawls y un principio de diferencia internacional«, in: Dianoia, Vol. LVI 6, 2011.